Heart Disease Risk Factors
Are You at Risk for Heart Disease?
Some risk factors for heart disease can be controlled by lifestyle changes such as diet and exercise. Others, like gender, age, and family history, cannot be changed.
The more risk factors a person has for coronary artery disease (CAD), the more likely it is that the person will develop heart problems or have a heart attack. Risk factors for CAD include:
Risk factors you can’t control:
- Being a man older than age 35
- Being a woman who has gone through menopause
- Having a family history of heart disease
Risk factors you can control:
- Being overweight
- Having high blood pressure (hypertension)
- Having diabetes
- Having high cholesterol
- Smoking cigarettes
- Being physically inactive